PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen coup!!

ktinkel
02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
My kitchen is a work in progress. It looked wonderful when we were buying the house, but as time passes, we find more and more defects.

A week ago I found a charming rolling cart that would work as a cabinet against the wall — space for covered storage beneath, a couple of drawers, and counters for the mixer, food processor, toasters, and so on.

It was from J.C. Penney and cheap, so I hesitated, then decided to order two of them because we could return them to the local store. Here is the picture (http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/CategoryHOM.aspx?deptid=7107&catid=9139&pcatid=7107&shopby=0&cattyp=DEP&refpage=DepartmentHom&dep=for+the+home&cat=kitchen+decor&pcat=&ttyp=&cmCatLevel=3) of the thing (and I got the red paint and stainless top, just as shown). We will skip the spice rack/towel bar at the end, and array two of them against a wall.

Well, I am very pleased. It is made of wood, for the most part (back panels are masonite), everything is well labeled and the instructions are clear and accurate. There was one error (a shelf we do not intend to use came with the wrong bracket), and it took Jack the better part of two days to assemble the two cabinets, but they look pretty good.

Now I can move the KitchenAid mixer, food processor, toaster oven, toaster, and a couple of other things off the island onto these two cabinets. The steel “chef’s” shelves will be moved into a side room which will be our utility room/pantry.

Life is okay. <g>

Nothing to do with DTP, but a lot to do with peace of mind! <g>

ElyseC
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey! Those are pretty sharp! Congrats! Now you'll have to tell us about the next fabulous meal those facilitated!

We have new furniture arriving soon for the living room and a bedroom or two (did you know Serta makes futon mattresses and gives them - even the cheapest - a 5 year warranty?), and when we first arrived we had to buy all new appliances (fridge, washer, dryer, upright freezer, then the TV died two days before Christmas and the Dish Mover service of Dish Network gave us a steal of a deal on a new, DVR satellite box), so we understand the thrill of new house goodies.

If we didn't have a great kitchen with tons of storage and a giant island, I'd give those carts a closer look. Since moving, I've really taken to JC Penny. I like their Home Collection towels (huge color selection and they feel great in use). We've also found some great clothes for Bruce there. Signed up for one of their credit cards when we made our first big purchase (several hundred dollars worth to replace old, tired stuff we sold, tossed or donated before leaving Calif.) and because we went on to buy more needed items in short order, within a month of getting our plain brown card from them, their gold (!!) card arrived. "Congratulations! Because you spent $xxx within a year's time..." A year's time? Try a month and a half! Little do they know that that kind of spending was, for us, a one-time occurrance! <ggg>

Franca
02-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Very cool. I love the red!

But this one has "praised panel doors":

Extra special doors (http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=7107&CatID=9142&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=0a96e5e&ProdSeq=4&Cat=kitchen+carts&Dep=For+The+Home&PCat=Kitchen+Decor&PCatID=9139&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=25&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0)

How can one resist?!

ElyseC
02-03-2005, 10:01 PM
But this one has "praised panel doors":
How can one resist?!
LOL!

ktinkel
02-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Hey! Those are pretty sharp! Congrats! Now you'll have to tell us about the next fabulous meal those facilitated!Probably no meal — peace of mind. Right now the big mixer lives on the island, where it is in the way (and where it drives me nuts). To make toast, which Jack does every morning, he moves the pop-up toaster or the toaster oven (or both, dunno why) to the island. Unless I put them away, there they sit, driving me crazy.

So now I will have those two boxes lining the wall, with mixer, food processor, toasters, and probably something else where they can be used without anything impinging on my nice empty island! And I also have plans for the four drawers; never have enough drawers!

Interesting. I ordered last Sunday; they came on Wednesday. I paid $299; today when I looked at the Penney page, they were shown as being “on sale” at $319. Do they run Penney’s like Marshal’s or TJ Maxx now, with changing prices all the time.

Since moving, I've really taken to JC Penny.Years ago, when I lived in Berkeley, every towel we owned came from the Penney’s on Shattuck Avenue. We still (42 years later!) have a couple of those towels and a bathmat. Color still bright, but a bit frayed along the edge.

ElyseC
02-04-2005, 07:51 AM
So now I will have those two boxes lining the wall, with mixer, food processor, toasters, and probably something else where they can be used without anything impinging on my nice empty island!
I'd love our island to be empty, but we still have stuff to put away from our move and I don't yet know where it all should go. Once cleared, the island will have only a handful of seasoning bottles (next to the cooktop and oven embedded in the expanse) and one potted plant.

Years ago, when I lived in Berkeley, every towel we owned came from the Penney’s on Shattuck Avenue. We still (42 years later!) have a couple of those towels and a bathmat. Color still bright, but a bit frayed along the edge.
My mother-in-law put me onto JCPenny towels with this move and she buys only what she feels are the very best. They have an exceptional, custom-built (in 2000) home that would easily bring at least $1,500,000 in our old city in CA, so it's impressive (to me, at least) that all her towels come from Penny's.

ktinkel
02-04-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd love our island to be empty, but we still have stuff to put away from our move and I don't yet know where it all should go. Once cleared, the island will have only a handful of seasoning bottles (next to the cooktop and oven embedded in the expanse) and one potted plant.Well, we have a royal mess right now, with stuff all over the island, dining room table, even in the living room. But Jack did organize the new utility room a little so the big shelves went in, and now he is moving things there that we don’t need every day.

It will work, I can see that; but it won’t be instantaneous.

ElyseC
02-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Well, we have a royal mess right now, with stuff all over the island, dining room table, even in the living room. But Jack did organize the new utility room a little so the big shelves went in, and now he is moving things there that we don’t need every day.

It will work, I can see that; but it won’t be instantaneous.
We just found out that tomorrow we have to do a chunk of the organizing and finding where to put things, because it looks like our new furniture will be delivered either Tuesday or Thursday! The furniture store called and said it's arrived, but they asked us to come in today to see it first, because the design of the backs of the sofa and loveseat is not what the factory told them/us. The factory told the store that the design of the backs were the wood slats (this is Mission style) like the sides/arms. We were delighted and picked that furniture manufacturer over others, because the backs were wood, not fabric and therefore not likely to be clawed by our cat who likes vertical scratching posts.

Anyway, we have to clear room in the guest bedroom for the furniture delivery guys to move our big futon couch there. It's a heavy and awkward beast, so we would rather have them move it for us while they're here. There are a lot of boxes we'll have to empty and shift and we have just tomorrow afternoon to get it done, but it'll feel good once that little bit's done. Not instantaneous here, either.

terrie
02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I like that! Did you get the red?

Terrie

ktinkel
02-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I like that! Did you get the red?Yep — two of them, with stainless tops.

They are in the kitchen now, and look good. Of course, the island, stove, floor, and counters are all full of junk that must be moved, disposed of, or stored somehow.

But I am sick (cold or violent allergy, not sure which; but it kept me up most of the night and I don’t feel even slightly like being useful). So it’s take-out roast chicken tonight (don’t have to find too much stuff for that!).

terrie
02-05-2005, 01:22 PM
>>Yep — two of them, with stainless tops.

I really like them with the stainless tops and of the color choices they had, I thought the red was the best...

>>But I am sick (cold or violent allergy, not sure which; but it kept me up most of the night and I don’t feel even slightly like being useful).

Ick...hope you feel better soon...

Terrie

ktinkel
02-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Ick...hope you feel better soon...Thanks! Me, too. Once thing I am pretty sure of, it’s not the flu. We finally got flu shots, just two weeks ago Thursday, so I should be safe!

Franca
02-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks! Me, too. Once thing I am pretty sure of, it’s not the flu. We finally got flu shots, just two weeks ago Thursday, so I should be safe!Well, thank goodness for that. Hope you perk up soon! I'm pretty sure I'm just suffering from allergies. There's telltale yellow dust on everything outside. Sigh. But it sure feels like a cold. :-p

ktinkel
02-06-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm just suffering from allergies. There's telltale yellow dust on everything outside. Sigh. But it sure feels like a cold. :-pI have had that experience twice, and wouldn’t swear this is not another one. Unfortunately, it still feels lousy.

At least I got a pretty good sleep last night; night before was miserable, and it throws me off all day. And this week has thrown me off — I have done nothing productive, it seems, since Wednesday sometime. Grrrr.