PDA

View Full Version : Equine initiation

Mike
08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, Audrey feels she's now a much more experienced horse rider since she fell off on Tuesday. They were cantering and her horse suddenly decided to overtake all the others. Audrey said it was exhilarating until she lost her balance and fell off.

So the rest of the day was spent visiting hospitals. Somebody took her to Builth hospital (about 15 miles away) but they don't have an accident department so I had to go and collect here and take her to Hereford (about 55 miles away) to the accident department.

As the dogs were at the groomers I then had to go and collect them and take them home. Then I had to go back to Hereford to collect Audrey.

She has a badly cut finger and plenty of bruises but otherwise she's fine.

This morning started well as one of our dogs (Tess) had breakfast for the first time since Sunday. This morning she's going to the vet (for the third time this week) to have a scan.

The week has been slightly fraught.

annc
09-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Well, Audrey feels she's now a much more experienced horse rider since she fell off on Tuesday. They were cantering and her horse suddenly decided to overtake all the others. Audrey said it was exhilarating until she lost her balance and fell off.Was that her first fall? It's a sort of passport to being a real rider - something she can introduce into a conversation in an offhand manner.

This morning started well as one of our dogs (Tess) had breakfast for the first time since Sunday. This morning she's going to the vet (for the third time this week) to have a scan.Oh, dear. It sounds as if Tess is in the same state as Caddie, who is eating well again (after a bad bout of diarrhoea - thank goodness not a recurrence of the haemorrhagic gastoenteritis I feared she had). I'm so glad she's on the mend. The vet wanted to do an ultrasound on Caddie to get a more precise diagnosis than probable primary liver dysfunction, but at $500-$800 for a nearly 15 year-old, I decided that she would have to miss out. I just don't have that sort of money on top of the $500 I've spent on vet fees in the past week. While she's apparently pain-free and cheerful, she'll live a happy life here. When the time comes, she'll go peacefully with the green dream.

Give Tess an extra pat for me. I'll be thinking of her.

Franca
09-01-2005, 12:36 AM
The week has been slightly fraught.I'd say so! I hope Audrey's not feeling too battered and sore from her "unscheduled dismount". If it was the first one I guess it's good to get that milestone out of the way. There's nothing like a good canter as long as you and your horse are going in the same direction.... I had a bit of a problem with that one day last year when I fell off twice in one afternoon. I have had no falls this year, thank goodness.

Hope Tess' scan looked OK. Here's wishing all of our older dogs a good week.

Mike
09-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Was that her first fall? It's a sort of passport to being a real rider - something she can introduce into a conversation in an offhand manner.

Yes it was her first and, I hope, her last but I suspect not.

The vet wanted to do an ultrasound on Caddie to get a more precise diagnosis than probable primary liver dysfunction, but at $500-$800 for a nearly 15 year-old, I decided that she would have to miss out. I just don't have that sort of money on top of the $500 I've spent on vet fees in the past week.

That sounds an awful lot of money. Tess had an ultrasound scan this morning and it cost £25. They've found a problem with her bladder. Most of it looks OK but the walls of the front part seem to have some sort of growths on them -- while mostly it was like looking through a smooth tunnel, towards the front it was like swimming through dense seaweed.

The vet said she hadn't seen anything quite like it before but it looks as if she'll have to have part of her bladder removed. She's booked in for an operation on Tuesday.

On Thursday week we're supposed to be flying to Peru and paddling up the Amazon. We really don't feel much like doing that at the moment.

annc
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Tess had an ultrasound scan this morning and it cost £25. They've found a problem with her bladder. Most of it looks OK but the walls of the front part seem to have some sort of growths on them -- while mostly it was like looking through a smooth tunnel, towards the front it was like swimming through dense seaweed.

The vet said she hadn't seen anything quite like it before but it looks as if she'll have to have part of her bladder removed. She's booked in for an operation on Tuesday.

On Thursday week we're supposed to be flying to Peru and paddling up the Amazon. We really don't feel much like doing that at the moment.I'm sure you'll feel more like it after she's had the op and you see her recovering. At least you got a definitive diagnosis as a result of the ultrasound.

terrie
09-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm glad that Audrey is ok...falling off is never very much fun...

Please tell me that she was wearing a riding helmet? I do hope so...if she doesn't have one, then please, please, please make sure that she has one and uses it before she rides again...

I hope that Tess will be ok...keeping my fingers crossed...

Terrie

Mike
09-02-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm sure you'll feel more like it after she's had the op and you see her recovering. At least you got a definitive diagnosis as a result of the ultrasound.

Well, we hope so. The scan showed up a bladder problem but a blood test diagnosed kidney failure so we're not at all sure that the op will cure her problem.

Tomorrow we're going to see our new puppy. He's too young to bring home as yet but we'll take a camera and post some pics.

Mike
09-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Please tell me that she was wearing a riding helmet?

That was the first thing she bought when she took up riding. It came home a bit mucky so I imagine she might well have hit her head without it. Her back is covered with bruises and cuts but the only serious problem was her finger that required stiches.

I hope that Tess will be ok...keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks for that. I woke up this morning feeling quite sick. I'm sure it's worry about Tess rather than anything I ate last night!

annc
09-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Well, we hope so. The scan showed up a bladder problem but a blood test diagnosed kidney failure so we're not at all sure that the op will cure her problem.O, that's almost worse than the blood test Caddie had that was inconclusive. The vet wanted to send her for the scan to make sense of the blood test!

Tomorrow we're going to see our new puppy. He's too young to bring home as yet but we'll take a camera and post some pics.Ooh, how exciting! I do hope it's a pup that will co-exist happily with horses. ;-)

Mike
09-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Ooh, how exciting! I do hope it's a pup that will co-exist happily with horses. ;-)

Well, we don't have a horse yet. My opinion is that we should buy another field before we buy a horse but the options are very limited.

terrie
09-02-2005, 11:20 AM
>>mike: That was the first thing she bought when she took up riding.

Excellent!!! She should probably replace the helmet--many of the helmet companies have a replacement program where you send in the old/damaged helmet and they send you a new one for free or a reduced price. You can't always see the damage to a helmet after a fall so the general recommendation is to replace it.

>>I woke up this morning feeling quite sick. I'm sure it's worry about Tess rather than anything I ate last night!

I do hope that Tess will be ok...I know exactly what you are feeling...

Terrie

annc
09-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, we don't have a horse yet. My opinion is that we should buy another field before we buy a horse but the options are very limited.Yeah, and then your holiday options are limited. Horses tie you down a lot more than dogs do.

Susie
09-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah, and then your holiday options are limited. Horses tie you down a lot more than dogs do.

And then there are parrots. They are require a huge commitment of time also. I just don't have to drive somewhere to take care of them; but then your horse isn't opening cabinets and stealing nuts in your kitchen either <ggg>

Mike
09-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, and then your holiday options are limited. Horses tie you down a lot more than dogs do.

I wonder if we could get one of those old Gipsy caravans and get the horse to take us on holiday...

annc
09-03-2005, 03:31 AM
I wonder if we could get one of those old Gipsy caravans and get the horse to take us on holiday...Ah-ha! I see it now - the sun shining, you and Audrey on the seat of a wooden caravan, trundling down a country lane behind the round, shining rump of your horse. The dogs trotting behind, making an occasional foray into the hedgerows to put up a rabbit that they never actually catch.

Bullshit, Mike. <g>

Those things only happened in Enid Blyton stories, with an occasional mention in Dorothy L. Sayers. ;-)

Whatever, they all died out in the twenties, and I doubt if even the version i saw in an old episode of Pie in the Sky is still extant.

Sigh.

Michael Rowley
09-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Ann:

they all died out in the twenties

Ann, you need to adjust your conceptions by a couple of decades:
motor-drawn caravans with all mod. cons. have long replaced the horse-drawn ones of old, but that didn't happen in the twenties. And a few years ago you could still hire an old-style caravan (and horse), but that was in Ireland, where the roads are probably still quieter than in England.

Dorothy Sayers? I can't see Lord Peter Wimsey ever replacing his high-powered car with a horse-drawn caravan, though of course the Duke of Edinburgh did drive, but only with four carefully-matched horses, which probably cost more than any car.

Molly/CA
09-09-2005, 06:57 AM
WAS SHE WEARING A HELMET?

If not, why not, and for heaven's sake --that is, hers-- get her one immediately and see that she never puts a foot in a stirrup without it. The new helmets are light, ventilated, inexpensive, and effective enough --if they're on the head of the fall-ee when it hits the ground!

Molly/CA
09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure I've got this at all right, but the caravan mentioned as being in DLS may be part of an episode in The Nine Tailors, nothing to do with Wimsey directly: Hilary, a young girl and one of my favorite of D's vignette characters, visits a local tinker at his caravan in search of something needed to help identify a character.

annc
09-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure I've got this at all right, but the caravan mentioned as being in DLS may be part of an episode in The Nine Tailors, nothing to do with Wimsey directly: Hilary, a young girl and one of my favorite of D's vignette characters, visits a local tinker at his caravan in search of something needed to help identify a character.Actually, I was thinking of Have his carcase when I mentioned the gipsy caravan, but now I can't think why it popped into my head. Maybe I should go back and read it just to find out. If I can find my copy, of course.

And I don't recall that bit in The nine tailors, so perhaps I should re-read that too. And while I'm at it, why not do the lot? <g>

terrie
09-09-2005, 11:34 AM
>>molly: WAS SHE WEARING A HELMET?

That was my first question too and she was indeed wearing a helmet...I've advised Mike to have Audrey check with the helmet maker to see about getting a new helmet as most manufacturer's recommend doing that after a fall and many offer a replacement plan--replace the helmet for free or at a reduced charge when you send the old helmet back to them...

Terrie

Molly/CA
09-09-2005, 04:18 PM
<why not do the lot? <g>

attagirl!

annc
09-09-2005, 05:32 PM
attagirl!Only problem is, my copy of Gaudy Night is falling to pieces. It's an old Pan paperback.

Mike
09-10-2005, 12:32 AM
>>molly: WAS SHE WEARING A HELMET?

That was my first question too and she was indeed wearing a helmet...I've advised Mike to have Audrey check with the helmet maker to see about getting a new helmet as most manufacturer's recommend doing that after a fall and many offer a replacement plan--replace the helmet for free or at a reduced charge when you send the old helmet back to them...

Terrie

Maybe I could send Audrey off with the helmet and see what comes back. <G>

We'll have to take a look and see if there's any maker's label or whether we kept any information that came with it.

terrie
09-10-2005, 11:34 AM
>>mike: Maybe I could send Audrey off with the helmet and see what comes back. <G>

ROFL!!! Do let me know what they send you...'-}}

Terrie