PDA

View Full Version : INETPUB officially gone

dacoyle
08-31-2005, 01:51 PM
and it's bad enough we lost the CS forum, but the redirect is insulting! Anyone trying to reach INETPUB gets sent to the MS IE forum!

Anne Wright
08-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, at least the Mozilla/Netscape Forum redirects to teh Netscape Forum.

I found it annoying that they could not leave the two forums in place at least until midnight...

Oh well, fewer forums I have to wade through with that apalling software.
Anne

dacoyle
08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Anne,

The very annoying thing is the software can still see that I have a waiting message. I posted right before I left the office and the shut down happened while I was coming home.

I can still see more than 3 messages in SFLIT but I doubt that will last.

Dennis

annc
08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
I can still see more than 3 messages in SFLIT but I doubt that will last.
I doubt if you'll lose that soon if at all, Dennis. I lost my last staff privileges in March when the Mac forum closed, and still see 20 messages everywhere on CIS (everywhere being the Gardening forum only now that INETPUB and Netscape/Mozilla have closed). I have a sponsored account, which will die sometime soon, so will lose the 20 messages view then. If youare using a personal account or were flagged on a screen name only, you will possibly never lose the 20 messages view.

dacoyle
08-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Ann,

Well, that's good to hear. I do like to drop in SFLIT from time to time, and I've been there a LOT lately. I've known one of the Sysops, Marilyn Alm, for over a decade and she and her family live in New Orleans. They almost stayed, until a dozen or more forum folk yelled at them to pack up the dogs an GO! They listened and managed to get to higher ground just in time.

They're west of the river and last I heard, no flooding, but they lost a chunk of their roof. No word yet on how bad the damage is. (or if the 20,000+ books survived...)

CS may suck, but many of us counted on SFLIT for news of Marilyn this week. And even people that dropped out years and years ago have been logging in making reconnections. Almost feels like the old days.

Hey, INETPUBBERS, did anyone reply to my </door> correction to Judy? They closed us out before I saw the waiting reply...

annc
08-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Ann,

Well, that's good to hear. I do like to drop in SFLIT from time to time, and I've been there a LOT lately. I've known one of the Sysops, Marilyn Alm, for over a decade and she and her family live in New Orleans. They almost stayed, until a dozen or more forum folk yelled at them to pack up the dogs an GO! They listened and managed to get to higher ground just in time.

They're west of the river and last I heard, no flooding, but they lost a chunk of their roof. No word yet on how bad the damage is. (or if the 20,000+ books survived...)

CS may suck, but many of us counted on SFLIT for news of Marilyn this week. And even people that dropped out years and years ago have been logging in making reconnections. Almost feels like the old days.

Hey, INETPUBBERS, did anyone reply to my </door> correction to Judy? They closed us out before I saw the waiting reply...I just heard on the news here that they are evacuating New Orleans again. I do hope Marilyn's books survived. Losing a collection like that would be catastrophic.

Anne Wright
08-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Dennis, I just went ahead and deleted those two forums from My Stuff - no point in keeping them there any longer!
Anne

dacoyle
08-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Dennis, I just went ahead and deleted those two forums from My Stuff - no point in keeping them there any longer!
Anne

I did the same, but took me a few minutes since my bookmark was based on INETPUB.

I'm still sad about it, but it was inevatable. Some day we'll have a party when AOL goes bankrupt.

dacoyle
08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
I just heard on the news here that they are evacuating New Orleans again. I do hope Marilyn's books survived. Losing a collection like that would be catastrophic.

Yes, full evacuation is what I heard, too. Don't know if that includes Marilyn's neighborhood; they're west of the river and about 5 miles above sea level so they should be OK. Unless the entire roof opened. When they got married, Harry proposed by asking if Marilyn wanted to merge libraries. Marilyn is an aspriing author, works in a bookstore, and has been an SFLIT sysop forever. That book collection means worlds to them. It would be devastating if they have a major loss, but they and the dogs are OK and that's the most important. (Though she did take her desktop PC with her, which has her close-to-published first novel on it; yes, it's backed up and there are copies but she wanted to save three things when they left; her husband, her dogs, and her PC. I'm not sure what the order was.<g>)

jgr
08-31-2005, 07:24 PM
and it's bad enough we lost the CS forum, but the redirect is insulting! Anyone trying to reach INETPUB gets sent to the MS IE forum!
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that. And besides, there isn't anyplace to redirect the forum to except the Front Page section of the MSIE forum. Not that that even gave them pause, but...

annc
09-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Yes, full evacuation is what I heard, too. Don't know if that includes Marilyn's neighborhood; they're west of the river and about 5 miles above sea level so they should be OK. Unless the entire roof opened. When they got married, Harry proposed by asking if Marilyn wanted to merge libraries. Marilyn is an aspriing author, works in a bookstore, and has been an SFLIT sysop forever. That book collection means worlds to them. It would be devastating if they have a major loss, but they and the dogs are OK and that's the most important. (Though she did take her desktop PC with her, which has her close-to-published first novel on it; yes, it's backed up and there are copies but she wanted to save three things when they left; her husband, her dogs, and her PC. I'm not sure what the order was.<g>)Probably all equal in her view! <g> Or PC, then dogs, then husband, in order of need for assistance.

ktinkel
09-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Hey, INETPUBBERS, did anyone reply to my </door> correction to Judy? They closed us out before I saw the waiting reply...Yep. John Davis did (asked if someone made sure the toilet had been flushed, and he and Judy had a little banter about that.

I posted later, and this morning saw a message-waiting thing in MyStuff, but when I clicked was swept off to MSIE, so will never know about that.

dacoyle
09-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Probably all equal in her view! <g> Or PC, then dogs, then husband, in order of need for assistance.

Actually, I'm guessing Harry had one dog and the PC and Marylan had the other dog. ;>

Dave would have to carry his own desktop. I think I can handle my two cats in the carrier and my laptop. But likely won't have to worry about it. If DC gets hit, we likely won't be able to run...

jgr
09-02-2005, 07:05 AM
If DC gets hit, we likely won't be able to run...
I lived in Alexandria when Hurricane Agnes hit the DC area. The thing about a hurricane and DC is you get lots and lots and lots of notice. You just have to believe them when they tell you to get out.

ktinkel
09-02-2005, 08:00 AM
I lived in Alexandria when Hurricane Agnes hit the DC area. The thing about a hurricane and DC is you get lots and lots and lots of notice. You just have to believe them when they tell you to get out.People often don’t believe the warnings. Floridians get several every year and only occasionally (until recently, anyway) do they take a punishing hit.

And, of course, in the case of New Orleans, things were even more complicated. Appears that many of those who didn’t leave had limited resources for leaving at all — with the tragic consequences we are seeing.

dacoyle
09-02-2005, 10:46 AM
I lived in Alexandria when Hurricane Agnes hit the DC area. The thing about a hurricane and DC is you get lots and lots and lots of notice. You just have to believe them when they tell you to get out.

I wasn't necessarily referring to a hurricane hitting DC. ;>

My sister was in Rockville and my brother in Fairfax when Agnes hit. We came down to visit a weekend or two after and my sister took us to Great Falls. We had to park way up the hill and walk in... I was only 8 or 9 but still remember the destruction. The one that came here 2 years ago didn't do a whole lot but blow around some branches. It's rare for an Agnes to happen this far inland, but it can happen... they come up the bay...

dacoyle
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that. And besides, there isn't anyplace to redirect the forum to except the Front Page section of the MSIE forum. Not that that even gave them pause, but...

They could redirect to here... <g> Sad to think of all the people we won't be helping anymore if they don't find us here.

jgr
09-02-2005, 06:04 PM
in the case of New Orleans, things were even more complicated. Appears that many of those who didn’t leave had limited resources for leaving at all — with the tragic consequences we are seeing.
It certainly does appear that way -- some substantial portion of the population there lives on an annual income of $10,000 or less. Kind of hard to budget emergency evacuations into that...

jgr
09-02-2005, 06:06 PM
The one that came here 2 years ago didn't do a whole lot but blow around some branches.
Speak for yourself! My brothers lives in Stafford and his neighborhood got hammered with trees down all over the place. Lots of other Virginia relatives got dumped on BIG time.

Susie
09-02-2005, 07:17 PM
And, of course, in the case of New Orleans, things were even more complicated. Appears that many of those who didn’t leave had limited resources for leaving at all — with the tragic consequences we are seeing.>>

And those who are being evacuated now face the very real possibility that they won't be returning to NO for over a year, if not longer. The whole situation is really heartbreaking.

jgr
09-02-2005, 09:26 PM
And those who are being evacuated now face the very real possibility that they won't be returning to NO for over a year, if not longer. The whole situation is really heartbreaking.
Kudos, big time, to you folks in Texas. Big hearts in that big state, opening up so many facilities to so many refugees. (Among them several of my cousins and their children...)

terrie
09-03-2005, 01:58 PM
>>jgr: Speak for yourself! My brothers lives in Stafford and his neighborhood got hammered with trees down all over the place. Lots of other Virginia relatives got dumped on BIG time.

I was going to say this also...'-}}

Here in Reston, we lost power for 2 days which while a pita wasn't really all that bad (particularly now that I compare it to the situation down south now) but the real pitaness was the barn where I have my horse...Sandy (barn owner) lost power for 4-5 days, lost everything in her freezers, no water because she's on a well and you need electricity to pump the water...the fire department was very kind and came with a water truck to fill all the horse troughs...it was nasty (well...relatively speaking to the current situtation of course...)

Terrie

terrie
09-03-2005, 02:03 PM
>>jgr: Kudos, big time, to you folks in Texas. Big hearts in that big state, opening up so many facilities to so many refugees. (Among them several of my cousins and their children...)

Indeed...

I was talking to my horse Zo's barn owner today...she works for Loudoun County VA department of social services and she said that at 10:30am yesterday (friday) morning she got a call about evacuees from that mess down there coming into Loudoun County and the calls came in until the office closed...she said that all the shelters in the area are filled but they are looking at opening up a closed elementary school in the small town of Arcola (about 5 miles from her place) but she doesn't know if it has showers. They are also looking at Morven Park (old estate that has a large mansion and is primarily used as a horse competition venue) to see if they might have dorms because many years ago the place was an equestrian training school...

Very sad and scary for all those people...

Terrie

jgr
09-03-2005, 03:45 PM
it was nasty (well...relatively speaking to the current situtation of course...)
Oh I had forgotten the water issue. Yeah... My brother also lost power and so lost water (also a well)... and my then-two-year-old nephew had a very upset tummy. My sister in law threw up her hands and packed up for a week at a motel.

Sigh... we are so spoiled with city water and sewers and all that...

ElyseC
09-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh I had forgotten the water issue. Yeah... My brother also lost power and so lost water (also a well)... and my then-two-year-old nephew had a very upset tummy. My sister in law threw up her hands and packed up for a week at a motel.

Sigh... we are so spoiled with city water and sewers and all that...That's why a few of the people we know out here outside of town have bought generators, just for the water issue.

They guy that built our house installed a bank of giant batteries originally used by the telephone or electric companies, but those died in a storm about six months before we bought the house, so he took them out. We want to get a generator as soon as budget allows.

At least all our electric lines are underground, unlike most of our neighbors half a mile away, and the main junction box for the whole area is smack dab at the edge of our property line. Compared to our half-mile-away neighbors on the other power company's grid (which is all above ground on poles), we're less susceptible to power interruptions. In fact, there was a storm-related outage a couple of months ago and it affected only Alliant Energy customers, not those of us with the Rural Electric Cooperative company's service. It's pretty strange (to me), but when we do have an outage (we've had two since we moved here), we just call the company's automated trouble-reporting line, they identify us by our telephone number, and we press 1 to report an outage or 2 for [something else I don't remember], hang up, and within minutes our power is back on. How on earth? Maybe they just flip some switches and route power to us from another direction, but they certainly do it quickly and without sending anyone out to investigate and make repairs.

jgr
09-03-2005, 08:06 PM
That's why a few of the people we know out here outside of town have bought generators, just for the water issue.
Bill and Carolyn (now with two little boys) are looking into getting a generator now too. The hurricane was bad enough, but when Dennis (the older boy) decided to develop a stomach virus at the same time that Duncan (the baby) was reacting badly to a new antibiotic, Carolyn decided enough of this losing water when the power goes out bit.

Susie
09-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Kudos, big time, to you folks in Texas. Big hearts in that big state, opening up so many facilities to so many refugees. (Among them several of my cousins and their children...)

They have quickly filled up the various promised places in both Houston and here in Dallas. Last I heard, they were talking about opening up our convention center to the refuges as well. I'm glad to hear that as the convention center has a lot more room than Reunion Arena. They are also trucking in hundreds of animals who either are not allowed to be with their owners in the refugee centers or were stranded during the hurricane. I've volunteered to foster some of them, and the next truckload should be coming in sometime tomorrow.

A lot of people around here have also opened their homes to some of the refugees. And one local builder let a very large family move in to some of his model homes that were up for sale. I have never seen this much generosity of heart and spirit before. It really makes me feel good.

jgr
09-04-2005, 06:51 AM
I have never seen this much generosity of heart and spirit before. It really makes me feel good.
I have seen it before -- I live very close to NYC and could see the World Trade Center from my office window. People can be magnificent when they have a chance to rise to the occasion.

terrie
09-04-2005, 01:14 PM
>>jgr: My sister in law threw up her hands and packed up for a week at a motel.

Sounds like a practical solution...

>>Sigh... we are so spoiled with city water and sewers and all that...

Yeah...I felt fortunate to have water when our power went out...since my stove is gas, I could even make coffee...'-}}

Terrie

ElyseC
09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
>>jgr: My sister in law threw up her hands and packed up for a week at a motel.

Sounds like a practical solution...

>>Sigh... we are so spoiled with city water and sewers and all that...

Yeah...I felt fortunate to have water when our power went out...since my stove is gas, I could even make coffee...'-}}In the rolling blackouts a couple of years ago in southern California, we could do the same thing. We did get to listen to radio, though, while sitting outside on the back patio eating dinner (cooked via gas stove), because we have one of those nifty RePlay (I think that's the name) radios you crank up and it'll run for up to an hour. Nice. Was able to listen to some tunes to pass the time, eating by battery-powered Coleman camping lantern.

terrie
09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
>>elysec: one of those nifty RePlay (I think that's the name) radios you crank up and it'll run for up to an hour.

Cool...didn't know they had something like that...

Terrie

ElyseC
09-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Cool...didn't know they had something like that...There are several models, some with a lamp as well as the radio. Oh pooh, I got the name wrong; it's FreePlay. Here's a link I found to the FreePlay product line (http://www.freeplayenergy.com/index.php?section=products&PHPSESSID=522c2aad3f0a0659ae5fc727cff922b7) Ours looks like it's the FreePlay Plus.

terrie
09-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks but it wouldn't do me any good--except perhaps for the lamp--as I wouldn't be able to understand what's being said...

Terrie

ElyseC
09-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks but it wouldn't do me any good--except perhaps for the lamp--as I wouldn't be able to understand what's being said...No, I understand about the radio, but check out that link -- they have more than just radios. There's a crank generator, cell phone charger, and several models of lights/lamps. In a power outage, I'd like to have several light sources and want to read more about the little generator and cell phone charger. Oh, and I haven't read up on the other products, but the radio we have can also be solar powered, so I imagine several of their other items also come with solar capability. I've used our radio both ways. Nice feature.

Susie
09-04-2005, 03:22 PM
You are so right. It's very heartening.

jgr
09-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I felt fortunate to have water when our power went out...since my stove is gas, I could even make coffee...'-}}
Same here: lose power, keep heat, keep stove, keep water, keep sewer. Light a fire in the fireplace, light some candles, it's cozy. What I would do without my creature comforts... not well, I don't think.

terrie
09-05-2005, 11:08 AM
>>elysec: the little generator

Yeah...I did look at that one...very interesting...

Terrie

terrie
09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
>>jgr: What I would do without my creature comforts... not well, I don't think.

Me either!

Terrie

ElyseC
09-06-2005, 07:11 AM
I'm very interested in the cell phone charger, but it doesn't seem to work with our brand of cell phone (LG).

ElyseC
09-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Same here: lose power, keep heat, keep stove, keep water, keep sewer. Light a fire in the fireplace, light some candles, it's cozy. What I would do without my creature comforts... not well, I don't think.Here, if we lose power we (as mentioned) lose water, but can cook on top of stove (I don't think I want to try lighting the oven with a match) and heat with the wood-burning stove in the living room. That wood stove can heat this place (main floor, anyway) so well that if it's going full blast we have to - in the dead of winter - open windows or be too hot. The big issue in losing power for more than an hour or so would be the loss of water.

In southern California we learned from my sis and hubby that you can keep a couple of buckets in the shower with you (still enough room to move). If you do lose water, as they did for several days after the Northridge earthquake in the early 90s, you use the buckets of accumulated shower water to flush toilets. They also got a huge glass water jar (about 3 ft tall) and a pump top for it into which they transfer water from their reverse osmosis water purifier. They take from both the jar and the purifier at the sink, so that the jarred water stays fresh, but they always have a backup supply in case of emergency.

terrie
09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
>>elysec: I'm very interested in the cell phone charger, but it doesn't seem to work with our brand of cell phone (LG).

Did you email them to ask about it?

Terrie

jgr
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
The big issue in losing power for more than an hour or so would be the loss of water.
Yeah, that would be the big issue for me. I can figure out how to stay warm. I can even figure out how to read by candlelight. But no water??? EEEEK!

ElyseC
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Did you email them to ask about it? Not yet; haven't had time to think about it yet and, for the fun of it, wanted to see what hubby thought about the doodad.

ElyseC
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Guess we'll just have to get a generator.

jgr
09-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Guess we'll just have to get a generator.
And don't run it inside the house...

jgr
09-07-2005, 02:54 PM
They could redirect to here... <g> And pigs could fly past my 15th story office window too...

Sad to think of all the people we won't be helping anymore if they don't find us here.With luck, folks will find this nice place.

ElyseC
09-08-2005, 08:10 AM
And don't run it inside the house...Spot on!

Richard Waller
09-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I went to a hotel at Seaview on the Isle of Wight (UK) and they had a generator in the shed outside for daytime use cos they said it was cheaper than using the public supply. They turned it off at night cos the noise woke the rersidents.

There was also a troublesome delay while the generator ran up to speed if you were the first to switch on the light.

ElyseC
09-10-2005, 08:22 AM
So how were you to see at night if you couldn't turn on a light??

Richard Waller
09-10-2005, 11:55 PM
- - - oh, the gene was only for daytime. They switched back to the mains for evening and night power.

ElyseC
09-11-2005, 01:54 PM
- - - oh, the gene was only for daytime. They switched back to the mains for evening and night power.Aha! Now I get it. I was making a mental note that, should we ever travel there for a visit, I'd make sure wherever we stayed wasn't too "rustic." <g>