PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Font ID

Cristen Gillespie
08-28-2005, 07:43 AM
A friend of mine is trying to ID a font. She's looked in Precision Type Guide, tried a couple font finders she knew about, and looked at her own extensive collection, and is coming up empty.

Perhaps someone here has some idea what it is? She needs to find it by Tuesday.

Thanks,

terrie
08-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Take a look at Albertus, particularly the Extra Bold...it pretty much matches everything except the dotted center of the "O" (maybe someone added that?)

Terrie

Susie
08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Cristen, try www.identifont.com (http://www.identifont.com) They do a pretty good job of identifying fonts.

Cristen Gillespie
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks, I'll pass that on.

Cristen Gillespie
08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
I know she tried a couple places, but in case she missed that one, I'll send her the url. I never try to identify fonts, but I knew people here would have a clue what to do. Thanks.

terrie
08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
By the way...I did a google search on "albertus extra bold" and apparently it's an HP laserjet font...here's the upper case "O"

Terrie

ktinkel
08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
… "albertus extra bold" and apparently it's an HP laserjet font...here's the upper case "O"That explains everything!

I was virtually certain that Berthold Wolpe never designed an extra bold version of Albertus (nor any italics, even though the Adobe font even has those).

There were originally a light and a normal weight of the regular face plus two titling (all caps) fonts: one for the regular weight and a bold. I would guess the HP extra bold was the bold titling font fattened up somewhat.

Whew. That extra bold was really bothering me. <g>

terrie
08-29-2005, 02:03 PM
>>kt: That explains everything!

I was kind of surprised too...I guess I have it because I have the HP6MP...not sure *where* one would find it if one didn't have it already...some of the references to it mentioned it as shareware...hmmmm...I wonder if the HP site has it...let me go check...no...at least not that I can find...

>>I would guess the HP extra bold was the bold titling font fattened up somewhat.

That appears to be the case....

>>Whew. That extra bold was really bothering me. <g>

LOL!!! It's the only font I found (given what fonts I have) that matches that "O" (except for the dot in the middle)...

Terrie

ktinkel
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
LOL!!! It's the only font I found (given what fonts I have) that matches that "O" (except for the dot in the middle)... I have no doubt that you nailed it perfectly. It was just so odd!

And I have it too — in my HP Fonts folder, and those fonts definitely came with my HP 5000N. Don’t think I ever even looked at them. Tsk. Wonder what other amazing specimens lurk within. (After all, HP absorbed ElseWare, with its font-morphing technology.)

Cristen Gillespie
08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
I have no doubt that you nailed it perfectly. It was just so odd!

And I have it too — in my HP Fonts folder, and those fonts definitely came with my HP 5000N. Don’t think I ever even looked at them. Tsk. Wonder what other amazing specimens lurk within. (After all, HP absorbed ElseWare, with its font-morphing technology.)

I really want to thank all you guys. I knew if anyone could identify a font, it would be the people here. The font finding sites failed her, or she didn't use the right keywords for the search, but you all came through.

After telling her about what you all said about Albertus, she finally decided to call Agfa/Monotype. They told her the extra bold version with the odd glyphs had once existed, but is no longer commercially available. She thinks she might be able to track it down, or see if the bold in the few letters she needs is close enough she can fake the rest. The italic was a faux oblique the original designer created, not an actual style.

Appreciate you coming to her rescue! Interesting that the people who have done the work recently all used a TIF of the font and had no idea what it was.

ktinkel
08-29-2005, 05:48 PM
I really want to thank all you guys. I knew if anyone could identify a font, it would be the people here. The font finding sites failed her, or she didn't use the right keywords for the search, but you all came through.We must thank Terrie! What an eye!

… she finally decided to call Agfa/Monotype. They told her the extra bold version with the odd glyphs had once existed, but is no longer commercially available.How very odd. I wonder where it came from? Wolpe didn’t design it, I am pretty sure. (I know this is neither here nor there, but it is curious.)

Sounds as if all she must do is buy an HP printer! <g>

The italic was a faux oblique the original designer created, not an actual style.Whew! :-)

Appreciate you coming to her rescue! Interesting that the people who have done the work recently all used a TIF of the font and had no idea what it was.Unfortunately, all too common. (Oh, KT, bite your damned tongue! <g>

terrie
08-30-2005, 02:46 PM
>>kt: And I have it too — in my HP Fonts folder, and those fonts definitely came with my HP 5000N. Don’t think I ever even looked at them.

I don't know how the mac handles fonts but on the pc side when I started using a font manager, I set up a Fonts directory and reorg'd every font I could find into that directory. Made life a bit easier...

>>(After all, HP absorbed ElseWare, with its font-morphing technology.)

Ahhhh....is that what happened with ElseWare...interesting...

Terrie

terrie
08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
>>cristen: She thinks she might be able to track it down,

From what I've seen anyone with an HP printer should have it...maybe someone in her office (???) might?

>>The italic was a faux oblique the original designer created, not an actual style.

I thought that might be the case...

Nice that Agfa/Monotype was at least able to give her the scoop...

Terrie

terrie
08-30-2005, 02:51 PM
>>kt: We must thank Terrie! What an eye!

LOL!!! Thank you...I think this is the first font I've ever identified...I'm always amazed how you can do it so quickly...I've learned a lot from you by reading your posts when someone is trying to identify a font (and your other posts on typography)...

That "O" was really the key as the interior was so distinctively shaped...

Terrie

Cristen Gillespie
08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
We must thank Terrie! What an eye!

How very odd. I wonder where it came from? Wolpe didn’t design it, I am pretty sure. (I know this is neither here nor there, but it is curious.)

Sounds as if all she must do is buy an HP printer! <g>

She actually mentioned that. LOL I guess this style was made so long ago, they played footloose and fancy free with original designs at that time?

Unfortunately, all too common. (Oh, KT, bite your damned tongue! <g>

I guess you all have raised me to higher standards. ; -) I would have questioned the lack of, at the very least, a vector file instead of raster, and done what she did--trace, but hope to find the real McCoy.

Oh well. I'm sure she'll manage, and now at least she knows the font isn't something she should have known, or be able easily to find and use.

Cristen Gillespie
08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
>>cristen: She thinks she might be able to track it down,

From what I've seen anyone with an HP printer should have it...maybe someone in her office (???) might

Terrie

Maybe I should see if I can find my old HP software. I didn't remember about that until just this minute. Thanks.

ktinkel
08-30-2005, 03:04 PM
>>kt: We must thank Terrie! What an eye!

LOL!!! Thank you...I think this is the first font I've ever identified...I'm always amazed how you can do it so quickly...I've learned a lot from you by reading your posts when someone is trying to identify a font (and your other posts on typography)...

That "O" was really the key as the interior was so distinctively shaped... Yes. Once you look closely, though, the serifs were also distinctive (just had to look at them separately from the weight of the characters).

I think you made a wonderful intuitive leap!