PDA

View Full Version : iBook, uBook, we all Book ...

marlene
08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Someone here was recently considering buying an iBook.

Here's what happened when a crowd turned up to buy surplus iBooks being sold by the Henrico County (Virginia) government:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/16/AR2005081600738.html

mxh

donmcc
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
And this is why eBay was invented. I hope someone mentions this to the officials involved.

Don McCahill

ktinkel
08-27-2005, 06:07 AM
And this is why eBay was invented. I hope someone mentions this to the officials involved.I imagine any officials (who do you mean?) know all about it. This story has received extensive TV and press coverage, both before and after the sale of $50 (used, old) iBooks.

marlene
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I expect that the officials didn't want to bother with shipping, making sure the buyers were county residents, etc. But they could probably have subcontracted the job out to someone locally who would do it.

Their best bet would probably be some sort of lottery system.

mxh

ktinkel
08-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I expect that the officials didn't want to bother with shipping, making sure the buyers were county residents, etc. But they could probably have subcontracted the job out to someone locally who would do it.

Their best bet would probably be some sort of lottery system.I gather that one of the motives was to make computers available to people who could not otherwise afford them (hence the $50 price).

The problem was that there were more highly motivated people than expected.

marlene
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
The problem was that there were more highly motivated people than expected.

Yes, I'm sure that was the goal. But I suspect a lot of those highly motivated people COULD otherwise afford a computer. And a lot of the people who did score one of the iBooks turned around and sold them at a profit, so they were just opportunists.

It would have been nice if they could have distributed them on the basis of actual need -- people who really couldn't afford a computer otherwise.

mxh