PDA

View Full Version : Oak Knoll Press

Howard White
08-26-2005, 05:53 AM
In the course of searching for a book (one I already own), I ran across the following link:
http://www.oakknoll.com/

At a quick glance, it seems a treasure trove for typophiles and related animals.

(The book I was looking for -- and own -- is "How Typography Happens," a compllation of lectures by Ruori McLean. Just wanted to see if it's still in print.)

HW

ktinkel
08-26-2005, 09:55 AM
In the course of searching for a book (one I already own), I ran across [Oak Knoll Books]. At a quick glance, it seems a treasure trove for typophiles and related animals.

(The book I was looking for -- and own -- is "How Typography Happens," a compllation of lectures by Ruori McLean. Just wanted to see if it's still in print.)It is in print and on sale right now, in case anyone else wants a copy.

Definitely a treasure trove. Oak Knoll was originally an antiquarian book dealership specializing in books about books. Now they collaborate with the British Library and publish many books on printing, type, and some other specialties.

Once Joe Treacy and I visited the shop in Delaware, and it was an amazing place. I spent a lot of money that I might not have spent by ordering from afar — all those wonderful books sitting next to each other drove me past my strength. Oak Knoll sponsors a book fair every October — I have not been, but hear it is well worth the trip.

Oak Knoll is rarely the cheapest source of an old book, but they are extremely accurate as to quality, and tend to have books in better condition than I expect, given the age. Very well-run place.

Michael Rowley
08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
KT:

publish many books on printing, type, and some other specialties

And very nicely done are the books Oak Knoll publish.