PDA

View Full Version : Separations: The Hard[ware] Way

Howard White
08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Forget your wimpy software sliders and palettes and widgets.

Attached see how separations are really done.

HW

terrie
08-24-2005, 01:57 PM
LOL!!! What the hell is that?

Terrie

Howard White
08-24-2005, 02:22 PM

Terrie

Just what it looks like!!!

(I am sure some of the greyer/grayer heads around here will remember.)

HW

ktinkel
08-24-2005, 04:17 PM
I am sure some of the greyer/grayer heads around here will remember.)Where did you find that?!

People today are probably scratching their heads, looking for the Rosetta Stone!

Howard White
08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Where did you find that?!

People today are probably scratching their heads, looking for the Rosetta Stone!

Oh, well... I found it today while Googling for information about gamut alarms (!!!)

http://www.wfschreiber.org/pageone.html

And scroll to the paper on Color Prepress Systems. Very technical stuff.

Schrieber knew Efi Arizi when Efi was at MIT, and contributed to some Scitex technology, most importantly in the Smart Scanner line.
I'm still trying to figure out how variations applications decide when a color is outside a gamut, especially if that application has no clue about the output device profile and things like paper stock. Know any color gurus?

HW

ktinkel
08-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Oh, well... I found it today while Googling for information about gamut alarms (!!!)

http://www.wfschreiber.org/pageone.html

And scroll to the paper on Color Prepress Systems. Very technical stuff.

Schrieber knew Efi Arizi when Efi was at MIT, and contributed to some Scitex technology, most importantly in the Smart Scanner line.

I'm still trying to figure out how variations applications decide when a color is outside a gamut, especially if that application has no clue about the output device profile and things like paper stock. Know any color gurus?Not any old ones, but Bruce Fraser is a veritable font of knowledge. Let’s see if we can rouse his interest. I just sent him a message.

Shane Stanley
08-24-2005, 08:18 PM
(I am sure some of the greyer/grayer heads around here will remember.)

Hey, I can't see the carbon-arc lamps... ;-)

Shane

Howard White
08-25-2005, 05:42 AM
Not any old ones, but Bruce Fraser is a veritable font of knowledge. Let’s see if we can rouse his interest. I just sent him a message.

Cool!! I met Bruce once or twice. Would love to pick his brain. All, of course, in the interests of furthering Open Source Software.

HW

curveto
08-25-2005, 12:57 PM

Terrie
It's a picture of the control panel for Howard's walker.

;)

donmcc
08-25-2005, 12:59 PM
It's a picture of the control panel for Howard's walker.

;)

LOL

djb
08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Not any old ones, but Bruce Fraser is a veritable font of knowledge. Let’s see if we can rouse his interest. I just sent him a message.

Heh. I wonder if he's read Margulis's new LAB book yet. I got it yesterday and on a quick skim it looks like a revolution in image correction. I hope to have time to digest it in the next year.

I'd love to hear Bruce's take on it...

curveto
08-26-2005, 04:21 AM
> Margulis's new LAB book

Flip to inside cover.
Type bits...

Thx,
JR

ktinkel
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Heh. I wonder if he's read Margulis's new LAB book yet. I got it yesterday and on a quick skim it looks like a revolution in image correction. I hope to have time to digest it in the next year.

I'd love to hear Bruce's take on it...That would be interesting (or to get them both here, as they once were in the old Adobe Forum. Their debates were ultimately very illuminating.

djb
08-26-2005, 08:44 AM
That would be interesting (or to get them both here, as they once were in the old Adobe Forum. Their debates were ultimately very illuminating.

I saw them debate at Seybold a couple of years ago. Barely a spark flew. I had to tell both of them how disappointed I was, and me with a front row seat.

;-)

Steve Rindsberg
08-29-2005, 05:29 PM
ROFL!

I only saw one of those in the flesh(-colored plastic) once. Obviously it made a deep impression.