PDA

View Full Version : IBM Corporate Songs

Andrew B.
08-12-2005, 09:00 PM
I was just looking at some of the IBM songs (http://www.digibarn.com/collections/songs/ibm-songs/). These are songs from the IBM song book (http://www.etypewriters.com/ibmsongs.htm) that praise IBM and encourage company spirit.

They make for some entertaining reading. By today's standards, they seem a little nuts. But wouldn't it be interesting of IBM's problem's didn't start until after they stopped singing.

ElyseC
08-13-2005, 05:38 AM
Wow. Another day, another time when, once hired, you expected to stay with a company until retirement and you automatically became a "company man/woman". I think the last generation that could count on such stability from employers and employees was perhaps the young marrieds of WWII and before. My parents knew that day, but my sisters and I have only heard of it.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-13-2005, 07:39 AM
<< God save our gracious King, >>

They do go back ..... pre 1950?

And:

106 IBM Company Songs

1. AMERICA

My country, ‘tis of thee,

GREAT BRITAIN AND CANADA

God save our gracious King,

reminds me how touched I was in 1940 when I came to Rochester NY as a schoolboy evacuee from England to hear our national anthem played on the downtown carillon at noon every day <s>

Andrew B.
08-13-2005, 09:31 AM
They do go back ..... pre 1950?From what I've been able to find, the first copy of "Songs of IBM" was published in 1927. There also appears to be a symphony composed for IBM.

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/music/music_CH1.html

http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/music/music_IS1.html

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I feel I ought to refer to this in the Compuserve PCHardware Forum where I still sysop -- any objection?

<< 1940 On IBM Day (May 13) at the New York World's Fair, IBM presents Lily Pons and Lawrence Tibbett of the Metropolitan Opera Company, along with the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra under the direction of Wilfred Pelletier. More than 10,000 IBM employees from the United States and abroad attend IBM Day events at the World's Fair. >>

Shame I was there just a few months too late <g>

Andrew B.
08-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I feel I ought to refer to this in the Compuserve PCHardware Forum where I still sysop -- any objection?Please feel free to utilize any information or references I post.

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks.

Now everybody -- We are the Ovaltinies .......

Andrew B.
08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Oh Shoot! I just could not resist. Here is my contribution to the upcoming publication called "Songs of Desktop Publishing Forum."

Desktop Publishing Forum (To the tune of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow")

Desktop Publishing Forum
You are keen,
You help me with my questions
Best I've seen.

When my projects are troubled
You repair,
You solve all of my problems
No despair.

Each day I visit and log in
I end up with a great big grin
On my face.
The staff and members are the best
With helpfulness they pass the test
That's why I go there.

Now my print jobs are flawless
This is true,
And my web site is growing
Thanks to you.

I'm happy and the reason why
The forum helps me
Thanks, you gals and guys.

curveto
08-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Just then a scantly clad gal with a sledge hammer runs in...

ktinkel
08-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Just then a scantly clad gal with a sledge hammer runs in...Gal?!!! You call that a “gal”?

Hrrrmph. That was a goddess! <g>

curveto
08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
She wasn't singing any corporate songs. That's for sure.

Cheers,
JR

Anne Wright
08-14-2005, 08:34 PM
OK, I gotta ask - is your avatar a scene from "March of the Penguins"?
;-)

curveto
08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey!

You're up thar? I'm down har. ...with the mouse (aka. The Beautiful City). Not too far.

JR

Anne Wright
08-14-2005, 09:08 PM
You visit the mouse? I've sworn to be the last person in Florida to go there. In fact, I may leave instructions to spread my ashes over the Magic Kingdom...
Anne

curveto
08-15-2005, 04:38 AM
> I've sworn to be the last person in Florida to

It must be a locals thing (that I clearly caught). I haven't gone yet either. Figured I eventually get to it or get hit by a bus (something that's quite likely in FL) whereupon it wouldn't really matter.

JR (living in WA and Altamonte, mostly the later)

annc
08-15-2005, 01:13 PM
OK, I gotta ask - is your avatar a scene from "March of the Penguins"?
;-)Is that a polar bear? in which case, what is a penguin doing at the North Pole?

curveto
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
> Is that a polar bear? in which case, what is a penguin doing at the North Pole?

He's waking up the Polar bear, of course.

annc
08-15-2005, 01:26 PM
> Is that a polar bear? in which case, what is a penguin doing at the North Pole?

He's waking up the Polar bear, of course.Well, about to, anyway. But how did he/she get there?

curveto
08-15-2005, 01:41 PM
> But how did he/she get there?

I'll wager Adobe Photoshop put him there. Gave him those instruments too!

The quote (removed) said, "Do something brave today. ...then run like hell!"

annc
08-15-2005, 01:58 PM
> But how did he/she get there?

I'll wager Adobe Photoshop put him there. Gave him those instruments too!

The quote (removed) said, "Do something brave today. ...then run like hell!"Hmm, foolish, more like!

<g>

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
Much pleasure and fun in the PCHardware Forum -- including a message from one of our sysops claiming to likely be the only sysop actually to have sung some of the songs!

Andrew B.
08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm glad they like it. If memory serves me, the first time I visited the PCHardware Forum it was called IBMHW. This was back when IBM defined an entire segment of personal computing.

Anne Wright
08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
JR, Oh, you like the Altamonte area? I've spent more time in the Windemere area since that is where my sister lives. But a friend's ex lives in Altamonte <g> He's now living in Longwood, just around the corner.
I do like your avatar - who's the bear supposed to represent - Microsoft?
Anne

Hugh Wyn Griffith
08-17-2005, 07:10 AM
<< visited the PCHardware Forum it was called IBMHW. >.

Correct!