PDA

View Full Version : From the Archives

Howard White
08-10-2005, 03:20 PM
From "The Typographer," March/April 1985: "The entire technology base is being turned upside down," says (Johnathan Seybold.)

"What this means is it's time to say goodbye to the distinctions between the images output by the office and those of typesetters," he insists....

"It probably isn't appropriate any more to talk about the typesetting industry as a specialized industry in and of itself," he told a meeting of the Los Angeles
Typographers Association.

And what what was he talking about?

"The Apple LaserWriter, a $10,000 system of imaging text and graphics from a desk-top Canon CX printer controlled by a souped-up Macintosh computer."

Remember when ?

HW

curveto
08-14-2005, 04:32 PM
> Remember when ?

Lordy. Lordy. Howard's forty.

No wait... ??? ...

;)

ktinkel
08-14-2005, 04:39 PM
From "The Typographer," March/April 1985: "The entire technology base is being turned upside down," says (Johnathan Seybold.)

"What this means is it's time to say goodbye to the distinctions between the images output by the office and those of typesetters," he insists....

"It probably isn't appropriate any more to talk about the typesetting industry as a specialized industry in and of itself," he told a meeting of the Los Angeles Typographers Association.

And what what was he talking about?

"The Apple LaserWriter, a $10,000 system of imaging text and graphics from a desk-top Canon CX printer controlled by a souped-up Macintosh computer."

Remember when ?

HWOh, yeah. Errant nonsense, too.

All the typographers ran “Chicken Little” ads about how awful DTP was, with its low-res output. That, while Lino was simultaneously advertising in the same publications release of its L100 and then, not so long after, the L300.

Those were the days, all right.

curveto
08-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Lordy. Lordy. Kathleen's 40!

No wait... ??? ...

This is sooo confusing.
<hehehe/>

Howard White
08-15-2005, 04:42 AM
I found this when I was cleaning out my grandfather's attic. :-)

HW

ktinkel
08-15-2005, 05:39 AM
Lordy. Lordy. Kathleen's 40!Gee, thanks, young whippersnapper! <g>

Molly/CA
08-21-2005, 10:44 AM
And I'm reading Felici's "Manual of Typography" (discussed here and don't miss it!) and he says

(A typical minicomputer for a dedicated typesetting system had only 768 kilobytes of memory.) The first of those dedicated systems was "ported" to a desktop computer in 1985.

donmcc
08-21-2005, 02:19 PM
And I'm reading Felici's "Manual of Typography" (discussed here and don't miss it!) and he says

That was a lot. I remember using Kaypro computers with 64K of memory in the early 80s (not as dedicated typesetters, but as keyboarding systems).

Don McCahill