PDA

View Full Version : DTP Tools for Linux

RJ Emery
08-10-2005, 11:49 AM
In W98, my principal image utility is Paint Shop Pro, which includes an image browser and image manipulation tools in one package.

I am beginning to learn Linux and experimenting with Gimp. However, I don't believe Gimp includes an image browser.

For Linux and to augment Gimp, I was wondering what other freeware tools might be available.

And what Linux packages might be available to add more DTP functionality?

gary
08-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Image browser?

Gimp File->Open will display a thumbnail of the selected file before opening.
Konqueror will display thumbnails of all the images in a directory.

Howard White
08-10-2005, 03:11 PM
In W98, my principal image utility is Paint Shop Pro, which includes an image browser and image manipulation tools in one package.

I am beginning to learn Linux and experimenting with Gimp. However, I don't believe Gimp includes an image browser.

For Linux and to augment Gimp, I was wondering what other freeware tools might be available.

And what Linux packages might be available to add more DTP functionality?

As Gary has noted, Konquerer will essentially instantly display images in a directory. If you want them in side-by-side format, there's a command for making HTML pages with images in a directory-- you specify how many per row, resolution, ID information, etc.

Only present problem with GIMP is that it doesn't support CMYK.

For a vector drawing application, try Inkscape. It prefers to work in SVG format, but can export to others,

For page layout, look at Scribus. It's getting pretty impressive, still lacking some of the stuff the big boys have, but it's free. (I am in daily touch with many of the principal developers via IRC, and am fleshing out documention for the version currently under development.)

More questions? Ask.

HW