PDA

View Full Version : Best Browser for Netflix

Andrew B.
05-11-2021, 08:49 PM
I was trying to watch a Netflix movie in Vivaldi and the movement was choppy. So I tested my connection speeds, which was okay, and then tried watching a movie from Amazon. It was choppy. So then I switched to Edge, simply because it was there. Worked great. So then I looked on the Internet, and according to an article at Forbes, (https://www.forbes.com/sites/barrycollins/2020/07/24/whats-the-best-browser-for-netflix-clue-its-not-google-chrome/?sh=61c20fae5503) Edge is the best. Better then Chrome. And it has to do with hardware. And then, because I'm lazy, I looked no further. What can I say, I'm lazy. Also, the article pointed out that I can use an app from the MS store, and it pains me to admit this, but it looks cool (ouch).

Steve Rindsberg
05-12-2021, 06:50 AM
I used to use Firefox for everything but, for whatever reason, it seems to have more disagreements with the webiverse than Chrome, so I've pretty much dumped it. Chrome used to be gawdawful slow to start up, but lately, no problems. I'd give Edge a try but I'm too lazy to mess with getting it all set up the way I want it. Necessity, the mother of invention. Sloth, its Terminator.

Andrew B.
05-12-2021, 11:09 AM
As you know, Vivaldi is a chrome browser, and the startup time is now amazingly quick. It just pops right open. Even with first use of the day. As for Edge, it will not become my primary browser. More like a utility for special situations.

BTW, with my new not-yet-clogged computer and my solid state hard disk, I can fire up Windows and launch Vivaldi in less than 20 seconds. I still have trouble believing it.

woody649
05-12-2021, 02:36 PM
The new Firefox is also a Chrome browser. So is Edge. I have no idea what makes one Chrome-based browser perform better than another.

Personally, I got hooked on a number of add-ons for the old Firefox that the shift to the Chrome base killed off, so I now use Waterfox Classic as my browser on everything except a Windows tablet. Waterfox is 64-bit and the tablet runs 32-bit Windows Home, so on that device I run Pale Moon as my browser. I'm an analog person stuck in a digital world. I need the tool/menu bar to show me icons and text -- the Edge interface is too stripped down for me.

Andrew B.
05-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Firefox didn't switch to chromium. They did however set a mechanism that forced all addons to not work unless the programmer updates according to new Firefox practices. I don't remember the details. I think this happened when they went with the Quantum technology.

Steve Rindsberg
05-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Pretty bizarre that you need to load an add-in just to provide a menu. I'm with you. Pass.

Steve Rindsberg
05-13-2021, 07:31 AM
This is one reason I don't use many (any) addons and don't trust Firefox, or Apple for that matter. They're far too willing to toss out whatever I've become used to in their relentless pursuit of The Next Big Thing. Windows 10 has had its problems, but it still lets me run one of my favorite programs, something that was originally written for Win32 and probably last updated around the time Windows 95 came out.

OMG I've been absorbed into the Borg. Here I am, defending Win10. STEVE! Get a GRIP on yourself!

Andrew B.
05-13-2021, 01:37 PM
If I remember correctly, MS had built a compatibility box into Win 95 that even allowed us to run DOS programs inside Windows.

woody649
05-13-2021, 09:13 PM
I think you're correct. And now there's compatibility mode -- but I think that only works with 32-bit programs, not 16-bit programs.

Steve Rindsberg
05-14-2021, 08:54 AM
Yep. And, odd sidelight, the program I mentioned (Ecco) stopped working in newer Windows versions for a while because although IT worked fine, its installer was a 16-bit EXE. Some kind soul worked out what the installer did and created a 32-bit installer to do the same thing. Voila! The thing still works, even under 64-bit Win10.