PDA

View Full Version : Happy Solstice!!!

terrie
12-21-2020, 07:57 PM
For those of us in the northern hemisphere...

.... Spring is coming!!!!

Terrie

Andrew B.
12-22-2020, 09:51 AM
:-)

terrie
12-22-2020, 12:49 PM
andrew: :-) And...I meant to say...

It can't come soon enough!!!

I am also counting down the days to 1/20...

Terrie

Franca
12-23-2020, 01:07 AM
I'll be OK with winter now that the days are getting longer again. But man, 1/20 really can't come soon enough for me. I feel as though 2021 doesn't really start till then....

Andrew B.
12-23-2020, 05:52 AM
Well, one good thing is that shorter days work better for Christmas light displays.

Steve Rindsberg
12-23-2020, 08:02 AM
+1 and an Amen to that

Franca
12-23-2020, 11:21 AM
They do! :) And the days will still be plenty short for quite long enough, LOL!

We finally went to cut our tree on Monday. We have been going to the same local Christmas tree farm for ... we couldn't remember exactly, but maybe 20 years? The owners know us (and our ancient blue and white Chevy truck) very well by now, as you might imagine. We heard through the neighborhood grapevine last week that they were expecting us. My other half was feeling a bit like Scrooge last week and wasn't sure he even wanted a tree, but I simply Must Have One, so I was patient.

On Monday, he woke up and apparently felt like getting a tree. (I know my husband.) So we fired up the truck and rumbled over there where we were warmly greeted - they said it wasn't really Christmas without us, and gave us our tree for free which was extremely generous of them. I will take them a sourdough bread soon.

They have a lovely Tea House that in normal years has spiced apple cider in a crock pot and Christmas goodies in it, but this year, of course, wasn't normal so there was no hanging out in the Tea House. We sat outside briefly and caught up, and there was gingerbread. There actually was apple cider brewing in their house, but we didn't really have time to linger longer.

The tree only has lights on it right now and it's really quite pretty, so if Mr. Scrooge doesn't want to bother with additional decorations this year we may hunt down our angel for the top of the tree and call it good. My compromise for just having a tree to gaze upon after dark. <3

Andrew B.
12-23-2020, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day.

They do! :) And the days will still be plenty short for quite long enough, LOL!

We finally went to cut our tree on Monday. We have been going to the same local Christmas tree farm for ... we couldn't remember exactly, but maybe 20 years? The owners know us (and our ancient blue and white Chevy truck) very well by now, as you might imagine. We heard through the neighborhood grapevine last week that they were expecting us. My other half was feeling a bit like Scrooge last week and wasn't sure he even wanted a tree, but I simply Must Have One, so I was patient.

On Monday, he woke up and apparently felt like getting a tree. (I know my husband.) So we fired up the truck and rumbled over there where we were warmly greeted - they said it wasn't really Christmas without us, and gave us our tree for free which was extremely generous of them. I will take them a sourdough bread soon.

They have a lovely Tea House that in normal years has spiced apple cider in a crock pot and Christmas goodies in it, but this year, of course, wasn't normal so there was no hanging out in the Tea House. We sat outside briefly and caught up, and there was gingerbread. There actually was apple cider brewing in their house, but we didn't really have time to linger longer.

The tree only has lights on it right now and it's really quite pretty, so if Mr. Scrooge doesn't want to bother with additional decorations this year we may hunt down our angel for the top of the tree and call it good. My compromise for just having a tree to gaze upon after dark. <3

terrie
12-23-2020, 01:21 PM
franca: But man, 1/20 really can't come soon enough for me. I feel as though 2021 doesn't really start till then....

My thought exactly!!! It's like I'm holding my breath...

Terrie

terrie
12-23-2020, 01:23 PM
andrew: shorter days work better for Christmas light displays. LOL!!!! And...that brings up the question I'd never considered which is...

Do those in the southern hemisphere put up holiday lights as we do in the northern hemisphere? Ann...would you care to weigh in on this??? '-}}

Terrie

terrie
12-23-2020, 01:24 PM
franca: they said it wasn't really Christmas without us, and gave us our tree for free which was extremely generous of them.How lovely and kind...

Terrie